Saturday, December 4, 2010

Affirmations

An affirmation is a positive statement about something you want to accomplish.  There are guidelines for making an affirmation for yourself.


First - it should be simple.  I have clients who come to me with two page lists of all of the things about themselves they would like to improve.  OK, I admit it.  I have a list like that myself.  Narrow it down to one thing that you would like to focus on.  I will use simply relaxing as an example since most of us need this from time to time.


Second - it should be positive.  Don't use words such as "don't," "won't,", "not," etc.


Third - it should be believable.  An affirmation that I read once was, "I am completely relaxed at all times, both mentally and physically."  It sounds great, but I don't know anyone who can feel that way at all times. A better affirmation would be, "I am relaxed both mentally and physically."  If you maintain a high level of tension, you might start with, "I am becoming more relaxed both mentally and physically."


Another choice would be, "Every muscle, every nerve, ever cell in my body is relaxed and letting go.  I feel peaceful, comfortable, calm and serene."  Pause between each word, creating a cadence that is, in itself, relaxing.


The most effective way to use an affirmation is to do the self hypnosis exercise already described in the previous post.  Once you've counted from 50-1, mentally say the affirmation ten times.  You can keep track by pressing down a finger with each repetition.  Once you've said it ten times, count from one to five and open your eyes.


I will discuss more about affirmations and how to create them for other goals in the next post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment