Wednesday, November 3, 2010

About Hypnosis

When a client comes to me and tells me he/ she tried hypnosis before and couldn't be hypnotized, the problem almost always is misconceptions about hypnosis.  Although there is no definitive definition of hypnosis upon which all hypnotists agree, it basically is a temporary state in which the conscious mind is passive and the subconscious is alert and responsive.  As a result, a person in this state becomes more suggestible and, with the help of appropriate suggestions and guided imagery, is able to carry out suggestions beyond his or her normal capabilities.  It is a safe and pleasant experience and can be extremely powerful.  It is like the state of daydreaming where you are awake but your conscious mind is not highly active.  I find that after discussing hypnosis with a client for a few minutes, getting the person into hypnosis is not a problem.  Actually achieving the goal for which she came in is where training, imagination and intuition come into play.  If clients are motivated and do the self hypnosis taught, most people can achieve success.  I will continue to add more information about hypnosis on future posts to dispel the many misconceptions that exist.


"Will you make me bark like a dog?"  I am asked this question all the time,  jokingly but not really.  The short answer is "no."  The reason for the question is that most people have only had exposure to stage hypnosis.  While entertaining, it is very different from clinical hypnosis.  The real question they are asking is "will you be in control of my mind?"  The answer to that is a definite "no."  I guide my client through the experience and make appropriate suggestions, but he is always in control of his own mind.  The suggestions are accepted because the client wants to make certain changes and allows himself to accept these suggestions.  A person will not accept a suggestion that is against his ethics, morals, beliefs or best interest.    

1 comment:

  1. One of the best professional hypnosis sites I have visited. I'll be contacting you for some help. Thanks! Jake Pershof

    ReplyDelete