Friday, November 12, 2010

How Will I feel When I'm In Hypnosis

We all experience hypnosis differently.  Usually you will feel relaxed and comfortable.  Some people describe their body as feeling pleasantly heavy, others feel light, and some do not feel different in any way yet are able to achieve goals they have struggled with in the past.  If you ask ten different people how it felt to them, you may get ten different descriptions.  The truth is you can't "feel" hypnosis itself.  In my practice I usually use relaxation techniques to induce hypnosis because most people enjoy being able to relax more than they usually are able.  However, hypnosis and relaxation are not synonymous.  You can be relaxed and not in hypnosis and vice versa.  It is a vehicle into hypnosis, but not the only one.  When I have worked with a person several times and she comes in with more to discuss than usual, I may not have enough time to do a full relaxation and address all the issues discussed.  In that case,  I will use a brief induction and proceed from there.  The closest I can describe it in terms of how it feels is to tell you what it's like.  It is like daydreaming.  It is like that twilight state when you are first waking up or just falling asleep.  It is like when you are totally absorbed in a great novel or movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment